FIRST® LEGO® League
FIRST LEGO League (FLL) is an international robotics competition designed to ignite enthusiasm for science, engineering and technology in youth ages 9-14.
Each year, teams of up to 10 youth are challenged to:
- Research a real-world topic
- Identify a problem related to the theme
- Create an innovative solution
- Share that solution with others in their community and
- Build and program a LEGO robot to complete tasks on a themed playing field.
At competition, team's performance is evaluated in four areas:
- Innovative Project — Teams research the challenge theme, identify a real-world problem and develop an innovative solution to that problem. They create a 5-minute pitch presentation of their solution for the judges. Teams are evaluated on research, innovative solution and presentation skills.
- Robot Design — Teams present their robot, mission strategy and programming to the judges. Teams are evaluated on their mechanical design, programming, strategy and innovation.
- Core Values — Teams are presented with a surprise teamwork activity. They complete the activity in front of the judges, who evaluate their teamwork skills. Team also present a Core Values Poster that illustrates the team's processes, goals and identity. Judges evaluate each team's inspiration, teamwork and Gracious Professionalism.
- Robot Game — Robots are programmed to complete missions on a 4' x 8' playing field. Teams have 2 minutes 30 seconds to complete as many missions they can and earn points for each mission completed. Each team plays three matches for score, and the best score of three counts.
Idaho FIRST® LEGO® League Timeline
- May — FIRST Team registration and payment opens visit www.firstinspires.org
- Late September/Early October — Team registration closes for Idaho
- Late October/Early November — Teams sign up for qualifying tournaments and pay tournament fees to UI Extension 4-H Youth Development (link will be sent to registered teams)
- December — Regional qualifying tournaments (statewide)
- January/Early February — Idaho State Championship Tournaments (North and South)
- April — FIRST LEGO League World Festival, held at the FIRST World Championships in Houston, TX (through 2020)