FIRST® Tech Challenge
FIRST Tech Challenge is more than just building robots. It allows youth grades 7-12 to build 21st century job skills, grit and better communities.
Teams are challenged to design, build, and program robots using a reusable kit of parts and Java-based programming to compete on a 12′ × 12′ playing field in an alliance format. Awards are based not only on robot performance, but on the team’s processes, mechanical design, community outreach and connections to their local engineering professionals.
Students in FIRST programs are eligible to apply for more than $80 million in scholarships worldwide each year. Our Idaho FIRST Tech Challenge alumni have gone on to some of the most prestigious tech programs and colleges in the country. Visit the FIRST website at firstinspires.org for more information about the program and then email us to learn more about how you can get involved.
Idaho FIRST Tech Challenge Timeline
- May — FIRST team registration and payment opens
- First Saturday in September — FIRST Tech Challenge Kickoff and Challenge Release
- October-January — Local team scrimmages. Visit our UI Extension 4H Robotics Facebook events page for details as they are available
- Mid January — Idaho Championship Tournament registration opens for Idaho teams
- Late January-Early Februrary — Idaho Championship Tournament registration opens for out-of-region teams (preference given to teams from CO, MT, UT and WY)
- Late February — Idaho FTC Championship
- April — FIRST World Championship in Houston, TX