Starting a Team
Starting a FIRST® Tech Challenge Team
Starting a new FIRST® Tech Challenge team can be a little intimidating, but remember we are here to support you every step of the way. Ready to get started? Just follow the steps below and as always feel free to email us with any questions.
- Learn more about FIRST Tech Challenge by visiting https://www.firstinspires.org/robotics/ftc
- Review the Idaho FIRST Tech Challenge documents below. These will answer many questions you may have about FIRST Tech Challenge and how it works in Idaho.
- Identify at least two adults to serve as team coaches. You may also wish to recruit 1-2 additional technical mentors to help with the engineering and programming processes, but these are optional. All FIRST coaches and mentors are required to undergo a background check in accordance with FIRST and 4-H youth protection policies. Each coach or mentor should create an account at firstinspires.org and submit their background screening information as early in the process as possible.
- Please note: You cannot assign youth members to the team and complete your Team Roster (required for competition) until you have two screened coaches assigned to the team.
- Log in to your FIRST dashboard and create a new team. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Team Registration and order your Control Communications Set, Electronics Modules and Sensors Set. You may also order a REV or Tetrix Kit of Parts through FIRST, or you can order kits from other approved vendors (see the Resources page). Not sure which options you should order? Email us for recommendations.
- Now it's time to recruit your team. Teams may have as few as two and up to 15 members. Just be sure that everyone on the team has a job that they enjoy doing that benefits the team as a whole, while still allowing room to grow as team members, develop their interests and try new skills. Team members will need to create an account through www.firstinspires.org and apply to the team. Coaches will accept team members to the official Team Roster.
Remember, if you have questions at any time during the process do not hesitate to email our office. We're here to help!