Starting a FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. Team
Starting a new FIRST LEGO League Jr. Team doesn't require technical know-how or extensive training. The most important skills are patience, the ability to keep youth on track and, most importantly, a sense of fun!
Here's how to get started:
- Learn more about FIRST LEGO League Jr. by visiting www.firstinspires.org/robotics/flljr.
- Review the Idaho FIRST LEGO League Jr. FAQ (PDF) and Sample Jr. Team Budget (PDF). These two documents will answer a lot of the questions you may have about how FIRST LEGO League Jr. works in our region.
- Identify at least two adults to serve as team coaches. All FIRST coaches in Idaho are required to have a current background check under FIRST and Idaho 4-H youth protection policies. Each coach should create an account at www.firstinspires.org and submit their background screening information as early in the process as possible.
- Recruit team members! Teams consist of at least two, but not more than six youth ages 6-10.
- Register and pay for your team's national registration through your FIRST dashboard. Team registration includes the Inspire Set (meeting guide, engineering notebooks, LEGO Inspire Model with building instructions and some extral LEGO elements to help complete your team's project). You can also order a discounted LEGO WeDo 2.0 Robot Kit through the FIRST storefront at this time.
Remember, if you have questions at any time during the process, please contact our office. We're here to help!
Idaho FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. Timeline
For important deadlines and specific event dates, visit our calendar
- May — FIRST team registration and payment opens at www.firstinspires.org
- Late January — Idaho team registration closes
- Mid-March-end of school year — Local Expos