Eating healthy does not have to be expensive. We have tips and tricks to help you eat well on a budget and save time doing it. Be more shopping savvy by following the three P’s.
- Know your budget. How much do you want to spend on food and snacks each week?
- Make a grocery list — write it down. This will help reduce impulse buying.
- Check online and in the papers for coupons and sales and take advantage of the deals.
- Does your grocery store have a loyalty card?
- Stores often put pricier items at eye level. Check up and down for best prices.
- Buy in bulk.
- Know what you are buying; read labels for ingredients.
- Don’t go to the grocery store hungry.
- Pre-cook on the weekends for quicker meals on weekdays.
- Double up on recipes and throw leftovers in the freezer for later.
- Try throw-together and no-cook recipes like salads.
- Try to use up fruits and vegetables by incorporating them in creative ways throughout the week.
For more on eating healthy on a budget, check out choosemyplate.gov/budget.
Until Next Week,