Beat the Heat Right
Ready to beat the heat?
The sun is out and it’s bringing the heat! Summer sports are in season and we are all apt to spend more time outdoors. Being exposed to high temperatures puts us at risk of dehydration and overheating. It is important to eat right and stay hydrated, especially when you are playing outside. Keep these things in mind to keep your family healthy and happy under the sun.
- Snack it up. Sometimes when it is hot we feel less hungry than we do in cooler weather. Keeping fresh snacks on hand is really important, especially when you are spending time outside in the sun. Don’t deprive yourself or your children of the nutrients you both need.
- Stay cool. Popsicles, slushies, and ice cream are summer time sweets that we all love, but they also have a lot of processed sugar in them. Try making fruit smoothies, frozen yogurt and fruit-sicles instead.
- Drink water. We are all about drinking more water all the time, but especially now. Dehydration is no joke. Put some cucumber or melon in your water for some fun fresh flavor.
- Have your kids drink water. Children are at a much higher risk of dehydration than adults. Make sure your kids are hydrated before they go out to play, and encourage that they take breaks to drink water throughout their play time.
- Wear sunscreen. A sunburn is not only uncomfortable, it causes long term damage to your skin and takes a while to heal. Make sure you apply, and reapply.
Have fun in the sun and stay healthy out there!
Until Next Week,