Extension Educator and Professor
University of Idaho Extension, Lewis County
510 Oak St., Rm. 6
Nezperce, ID 83543
Ken's work focuses on Lewis County 4-H and CL2N 4-H Camp, production agriculture and small acreage farming in Lewis/Idaho counties, and farm financial management education in north central Idaho.
M.S., University of Idaho, 1992
B.S., Seattle Pacific University, 1977
- Cooperatives for local food systems
- Cover crops
- Pasture management
- Annual forage production
- Whole farm planning
- Estate planning and farm business succession
- Finkelnburg, D.F., Hart, K.H., J.A. Church 2016. Cover Crops Demonstration Project in North Central Idaho. Journal of the National Association of County Agricultural Agents, vol. 9, no.1.
- Brooks, R.H., K.N. Hart, and J.A. Church, 2009. Farm and Forest Fair Educates Fifth Graders about Natural Resource Issues. Journal of Extension, vol. 47, no. 3.
- Finkelnburg, D., Hart, K., Church, J., Schewmaker, G., (2017) Northern Idaho Alfalfa Variety Testing Report. Idaho Agricultural Research Station Research Bulletin RES 192.
- Hart, K.N., 2014. Long Range Planning for Short Range Success. Keeping the Legacy Alive: Farming Together for a Better Future curriculum.
- Hart, K.N., R. Brooks, and J. Church. May, 2008. Pasture Principles for Smaller Acreages. University of Idaho. BUL 849, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, Educational Communications.
Ken Hart lives in Nezperce, Idaho and has lived in north central Idaho since 1979. He joined the University of Idaho faculty in 1994 and serves as an Extension educator. Ken conducts extension crop production programs in Lewis and Idaho counties and financial management education programs across north central Idaho. He has volunteered as an agribusiness consultant in Belarus, Moldova, Transnistria (Moldova), Angola and Malawi.
Ken received a master's degree in agricultural economics from the University of Idaho in 1992. Also, Ken and Gail Hart own and operate a farm in Clearwater County, Idaho.
- International Service Award, Western Region, Epsilon Sigma Phi, 2019
- Distinguished Service Award, Western Region, Epsilon Sigm Phi, 2015
- International Service Recognition, Epsilon Sigma Phi, Theta Chapter, 2015
- Idaho Barley All Stars Award 2015, Idaho Barley Commission, 2015
- Search for Excellence in Farm and Ranch Financial Management, National Finalist, "Keeping the Legacy Alive," National Association of County Agricultural Agents, 2014
- Ignite Extension Award, First Place, University of Idaho Extension Annual Conference, 2012
- Excellence in Extension Award, Idaho Grain Producers Association, 2009-2010
- Distinguished Service Award, National Association of County Agricultural Agents, 2008
- Professional Improvement Council Winner, Finalist, National Association of County Agricultural Agents, 2006
- Professional Improvement Council Winner, Finalist, National Association of County Agricultural Agents, 2005
- Mid-Career Award, Epsilon Sigma Phi, 2005
- Achievement Award, National Association of County Agricultural Agents, 2003
- Flagship Award Nomination, Clearwater Area Farm and Forest Fair Program, Natural Resources and Environmental Management Base Program, USDA, 2000
- Cooperative Extension Award, Idaho Grain Producers Association, 1999
- Communication Award, Finalist, Individual Newsletter, National Association of County Agricultural Agents, 1997