Upgrades to Teaching and Learning Spaces
To attract top students, the University of Idaho College of Engineering must compete with universities across the country for the best and brightest students.
Attracting these students requires state-of-the-art labs, classrooms and learning spaces for hands-on learning.
Choose your Future Project
Senior Design Suite
Gifts to the Capstone Floor - Mechanical Engineering fund will be used to transform the Senior Design Suite. The new suite will provide students an enhanced opportunity to gain hands-on experiential learning with relevant techniques, contributing to the U of I achievement of "excellence in teaching”.
Departmental Equipment & Tooling Needs
- Deionized Water Refurbish
- MilliQ UltraPure Water Purification System
- Welch™ Economical High Capacity PTFE Diaphragm Vacuum Pump
- CurranTaylor™ Scotsman Ice Maker Floor Model
- Laboratory and Instruction Furniture (20 chairs, instructor station, white board)
- Bioreactors (x6)
- General Lab Equip. (pipettors, balances, pH meters, H2O bath, vortex, Shaker)
- VWR Inverted Routine Fluorescence Microscope
- Thermo Scientific 1300 Series Class II, Type A2 Biological Safety Cabinet
- Thermo Scientific Sorvall ST 8 Small Benchtop Centrifuge
- Thermo Scientific Heracell VIOS 160i Tri-Gas CO2 Incubator
- Large Screen Displays
- Thermal analysis equipment (differential scanning calorimetry (DSC)/differential thermal analysis (DTA)/Thermogravimetry (TGA) combination)
- Charpy impact tester
- Lab-scale rolling mill for metal deformation processing
- Lever arm creep tester (additional)
- Laser Flash equipment for measurement of thermal diffusivity measurement
- Arc melting apparatus
- Friction stir welding machine
- Advanced metallurgical microscope with full image acquisition system
- Gleeble machine for thermomechanical process simulation
- A GPU based computer
- Video conferencing equipment for a large classroom. For example, a cisco or polychrome codec, high quality microphones, etc.
- Laser Cutter
- Robot Cell Upgrade
- HAAS Super Mini Mill 2
High flow coolant pump
High speed machining with look-ahead
- Zeiss Duramax CMM
CALYPSO CAD-based software
VAST XXT scanning sensor
Measuring range (in mm) 500 x 500 x 500
Chemical & Biological Engineering
Help cultivate lasting friendships and transform the educational experience of our students by giving to the Department of Chemical & Biological Engineering . Gifts to Chemical Engineering will facilitate the redesign of student study spaces on the third floor of BEL. Gifts to Biological Engineering will support the establishment of a dedicated hands-on experiential laboratory, providing training in relevant state of the art technologies.
Gifts to the Mechanical Engineering Laboratory Equipment fund will replace machine lab equipment, enhance student learning of machining, improve quality of prototypes, and increase stakeholder engagement around mutually beneficial design projects.
Civil & Environmental Engineering
Gifts to the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering Student Labs and Equipment Fund will be used to convert the largest teaching laboratory in the department to a space that will be used by several different undergraduate laboratory courses.
Updates made possible by your generous gifts:
- Civil & Environmental Engineering's new study lounge, computer lab and collaboration space.
- Micron Student Center brings together academic and career advising.
- Electrical and Computer Engineering's new lab showcases a state-of-the-art server and 16 workstations.
- John C. Wahl thinkTANK is a vibrant new tutoring and collaboration space.