Life and AD&D Benefits
University of Idaho employees are provided a Basic Death Benefit at no cost. Employees can also purchase Optional Death Benefits and Supplemental Life Insurance for additional security and comfort.
Additional information can be found below and in the Summary Plan Description.
Death Benefit, Life Insurance and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Benefits
The university provides a Basic Death Benefit equal to one times your base annual pay up to $500,000. For additional information review the Death Benefit At-A-Glance.
You may buy Optional Death Benefits of up to four times your base annual salary, up to a maximum benefit of $1,000,000. You may also buy Optional Death Benefits for your spouse and eligible dependent children. Review the Death Benefits At-A-Glance for additional information.
Tobacco Usage Affects Life Insurance Costs
- Optional and spouse death benefit rates are based on tobacco usage.
- If you or your spouse are tobacco users, but you complete a tobacco cessation class, lower rates will be charged beginning in the next plan year.
- If you need to change your tobacco user status, please email the Benefits Department.
How to Submit Evidence of Insurability (EOI)
- Complete the Evidence of Insurability (EOI) health questionnaire. A link to it will be provided to you upon your election, if its required.
- Coverage and payroll deductions will begin after EOI is approved by The Standard Insurance Company.
- Prior coverage election will be in effect while your EOI is under review.
- EOI approval can take up to six months.
University of Idaho plan number: 649326 (may be needed when completing form)
Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance protects you and your family in case of death, loss of a limb or eyesight and certain other conditions that result from an accident. If you die from a covered accident, AD&D pays a benefit in addition to your Life Insurance.
You may choose coverage for yourself and your family members. Employee coverage is available for one to five times your annual salary, to a maximum benefit of $1,000,000. Coverage for family members pays a percentage of your benefits.
For additional information and benefit details please review the Summary Plan Description.Contact Information:
The Standard Life Insurance Company
(National Conference of Public Employees Retirement Systems)
Please note: Employees who elect this optional insurance MUST be enrolled in the PERSI retirement plan.
- Life and accident insurance combination that decreases in value as the employee ages.
- Coverage available for spouses and dependent children.
- Employees can enroll within 90 days of date your employment began or during an open enrollment period.
- NCPERS Life Insurance Brochure/Enrollment Form