Passwords Policies at UI
Due to security and best industry practices, the University of Idaho does not allow indefinite use of a single password. Instead passwords are limited to 90 days for regular "short" password or 400 days for passphrases. As a service standard ITS will send password expiration notifications to your affiliated UIdaho account notifying you to change your password prior to expiration.
Password Protocol FAQ
Your account is used to login to Active Directory, Exchange e-mail, Blackboard, the Student Computer Labs, office computers, Frontpage Services and the Unix/Kiosk systems.
The primary objective of the standards for University of Idaho network computing devices are:
- Sustain the integrity and reliability of the UI network and attached components.
- Ensure timely and reliable access to and use of data and information technology resources.
- Preserve the privacy of information for authorized uses only and preserve the rights of ownership associated with intellectual property (e.g., copyright, trademarks, patents licenses, etc.)
- Assure the reliability and integrity of data by logging a record of unauthorized or inadvertent modification or deletion of facts.
- Preserve information resources for authorized use and prevent the malicious use of information resources.
Additional information can be found in chapter 30 of the University of Idaho Administrative Procedure Manual (APM).
If you have any questions, or have problems changing your password, please do the following:
Students: Visit the Student Technology Center (STC) in the Idaho Commons/TLC room 128 with a photo id. The STC can also be reached by phone at 208-885-HELP (4357) or by email at email@example.com.
Employee: Contact your System Administrator (SysAd) or TSP for your department/building for assistance.