Submitting a News Release for the Media
The University of Idaho Communications and Marketing (UCM) team is here to help colleges, departments, offices and UI groups connect with media. UCM sends three main types of releases to media:
- News releases alert media organizations about something happening at the University of Idaho, which may include events, honors and awards, policy changes or other news items.
- Media advisories are used specifically to draw members of the media to an event or scheduled interview.
- Expert advisories alert media that someone at the University of Idaho can offer an expert perspective on a local, regional, national or global issue. These are time-sensitive releases tied to an issue.
The UCM staff is available to help you craft your media strategy to fit your specific situation, as well as target the releases to the appropriate media audience.
Submitting a news release
To send a news release, download the UI News Release template. Write your release in paragraph format.
All news releases should include the following information:
- Time, date and location of any events
- If events require reservations or tickets, and associated costs
- Names, majors and hometowns of students
- Media contact information: If reporters want more information, who should they call? (UCM is happy to fill this role and help schedule interviews)
- Any available graphics, photos, video or other resources (include links)
- Confirm that all information in the release is accurate before submission
Email your release to Savannah Tranchell (email@example.com). She will edit the release and help you with the timing and targeting of the information, as well as coordinate with other university units that may be involved with the topic.
If your unit has a marketing and communications manager, that person can also help you with writing and distributing news releases. UCM has staff in the following units:
- College of Agricultural and Life Sciences: Amy Calabretta
- College of Art and Architecture: Vacant
- College of Business & Economics: Emily Linroth
- College of Education, Health and Human Sciences: Steve Corda
- College of Engineering: Rob Patton
- College of Law: Cara Hawkins-Jedlicka
- College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences: Kathy Foss
- College of Natural Resources: Sara Zaske
- Office of Research and Economic Development: Phillip Bogdan
- U of I Boise: Maria Ortega
- U of I Coeur d’Alene: Katherine Hoyer
- U of I Library and Division of Infrastructure: Lisa Ormond
After a release is sent, the item will be printed in The Daily Register as well as posted on the uidaho.edu/news webpage.
To send a Media Advisory or Expert Advisory, email the UCM staff member in your unit or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.