Program Planning and Review
The Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President is responsible for obtaining appropriate approval and/or providing notification for academic actions to the Idaho State Board of Education, the Idaho State Department of Education, and the University’s regional accrediting body, the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. While the decision to make academic changes is an institutional prerogative and responsibility, the University of Idaho must take appropriate action to comply with reporting policy and maintain accreditation.
What kind of academic change are you wanting to make?
- Add/Drop a course
- Change a course (credits, description, number, prereqs/coreqs, subject prefix, title, etc.)
- Move a course to or from Dormant status
- Change the curricular requirements for a degree
- Change the curricular requirements for a major
- Change the curricular requirements for a minor
- Change the curricular requirements for a teaching endorsement (teaching major/teaching minor)
- Add/Drop a subject prefix
- Change of subject prefix ownership
- Approval of USAC specialty programs
To implement changes in this Group fill out the appropriate forms and submit them to the UCC Secretary by Oct. 1, 2018.
- Add/Drop an option or emphasis within a major
- Add/Drop a minor
- Add/Drop a certificate (under 30 credits and no financial aid impact)
- Add/Drop a teaching endorsement (teaching major/teaching minor)
- Change the name of a degree
- Change the name of a major
- Change the name of a minor
- Change the name of an option or emphasis
- Change the name of an academic certificate
- Change the name of a teaching endorsement (teaching major/teaching minor)
- Add/Drop/Change an academic regulation
- Add/Drop/Change a policy in the Faculty-Staff Handbook (4000s)
- Move an academic program(s) between existing administrative units
To implement changes in this Group please go to the section on this page titled “Group B: Program Components and Minor/Non- substantive Changes” for the appropriate forms and deadlines.
- Add/Drop a degree/major
- Add/Drop a certificate (30 credits or greater and no financial aid impact)
- Offer a new academic program via distance education
- Add/Drop a Department/School/Program/College
- Change the name of a administrative unit
- Expand an academic program into a geographical area the University of Idaho does not already offer programs in
- Add/Drop a Branch Campus
- Offer academic credit outside of NWCCU’s region
- Enter into a contractual agreement with a regionally or non-regionally accredited organization to provide courses or programs on behalf of the University of Idaho
- Requesting a special program fee or self-sustaining program fee
- Changes to an academic program component with a financial impact of greater than $250,000.00 in a fiscal year
- Expansion of an academic program into a geographical area the University of Idaho already offers programs in
- Existing programs transitioning from less than 50% of its curricular requirements to 50% or more of its requirements being available via distance education with a financial impact of $250,000.00 in a fiscal year or less
To implement changes in this Group please go to the section on this page titled “Group C: Undergraduate and Graduate Program Proposals” for the appropriate forms and deadlines.
Forms and Instructions
Fill out the below form for creating, modifying or discontinuing a program component or implementing a new minor or certificate (30 credits or less). Please refer to the Group B list above for a complete list of allowable changes using this form. Certain types of changes or program components may require completion of a full program proposal.
Group B changes for implementation summer 2020 are due to Joana Espinoza (firstname.lastname@example.org) by October 1, 2019. Please submit a WORD document version of the form. Incomplete forms will be returned.
The University of Idaho must complete a program proposal to create, modify or discontinue undergraduate and graduate program majors and/or degrees. A proposal is also required for an academic certificate that requires 30 credits or more for completion. Some kinds of substantive changes also require a program proposal form.
A proposal request should align with approved programs on the 3 year plan. The current approved 3 year plan is below under Program Planning and Three Year Plan List. If you are interested in submitting a proposal for a program that is not on the 3 year plan, please contact Joana Espinoza (email@example.com).
- New Undergraduate and Graduate Program Proposal
- Discontinuing Program Proposal
- New Administrative and Instructional Unit Proposal
- Budget Template
- Instructions and Workflow of Group C Changes
Final proposals for summer 2021 implementation are due to Joana Espinoza (firstname.lastname@example.org) by November 1, 2019. Draft proposals for summer 2022 implementation are due to Joana Espinoza (email@example.com) by January 5, 2020. All proposal forms must be submitted in the WORD document version and must be fully completed. All proposals must have the Excel Budget form attached. Incomplete forms will be returned.
Teacher education preparation programs and program components are reviewed and approved according to the University policies and procedures. Additional forms are typically required to process these kinds of requests. Following institutional approval, there are additional approval steps with committees and/or commissions (such as the Professional Standards Commission) of the Idaho State Board of Education that vary depending on the nature of the program or program component that are being proposed. Please check in advance with the Vice Provost for Academic Initiatives to determine the specific forms, timeline, and approval process that will be required for the request.