Pivot Funding Database
Pivot Funding and Researcher Profile Database
ProQuest Pivot is a funding opportunities database, searchable by anyone with a University of Idaho NetID. Pivot identifies global funding information in all disciplines related to research programs, creative activities, collaborative activities, travel, curriculum development, conferences, fellowships, post-doctoral positions, equipment acquisition, operating or capital expenses, and more.
Funding opportunities can be searched by sponsor, amount, deadline, eligibility of applicant, funding type, and area of interest.
Funding sources are federal and regional governments, foundations, professional societies, associations, and corporations.
Individual researcher profiles in Pivot include contact information, positions held, publications, patents, funding received, and a narrative describing current research activities and expertise. Profiles also may include direct links to e-mail, personal home pages, online curriculum vitae, patent abstracts, publication abstracts and texts, and funding received.
For 1:1 training on how to use Pivot please go to the Research and Faculty Development Service Request portal, to start a ticket and select Level 1: search for funding opportunities.
Creating an Account
If you don’t yet have a Pivot account, go to pivot.proquest.com, select the Sign up link in the upper right on the screen. On the page to create your Pivot account, you may select Use Institutional Login Credentials then find University of Idaho in the drop down menu. Alternatively, you may sign up using your U of I email and create a password.
After submitting your information, Pivot sends you an email message with a verification URL. Select the URL to confirm your registration and log in.
Note: You do not need to create an account to use Pivot. However, you must have an account in order to save, share, and receive funding opportunities, and update your profile.
Logging In and Signing Out
Once you have a Pivot account, log in at pivot.proquest.com.
Select Log in in the upper right on the screen, then select Access via My Institution’s Login or enter your user name (your uidaho.edu email address) and password in the login box, and select Login.
If you forget your password you can recover it yourself via the login box, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a request to reset your password. We’ll send you an email with a URL that enables you to change your password.
To log out, select Sign out in the dropdown menu under your name at the top of the page. If you are inactive for more than an hour, you will be automatically logged out of Pivot.
Claiming and keeping your profile updated enables Pivot Advisor to find funding opportunities that better match your research areas. It also increases your visibility to other users and potential collaborators.
Claim your profile
- The first time you login to Pivot after setting up your account, you’ll be instructed to “claim your profile.” Note: you may claim your profile any time by clicking the Claim Profile link (Click on the arrow next to your name in the upper right-hand corner to display the options). If Claim Profile does not appear, this means you have already claimed it.
- Pivot will display a list of possible profiles. When you’ve located your profile from the results list, click the This is me button.
- If the email on the profile matches your current email, Pivot will send you an email verification which will grant access to update your profile.
- If you have any difficulties finding, or claiming your profile, use the on-screen prompt for assistance.
Update your profile and get more robust funding matches recommendations from the Pivot Advisor.
- Log in to your Pivot account.
- Click on your name to display the options and click on Your profile.
- Click Edit to modify the information in your profile. This will open a new tab.
- You may edit your Overview, Publications, Grants, and Patents and/or add a photo.
- Select Add for each field to which you want to make changes or additions, then Save.
- Click Done at the top of the page, then close the tab, and return to Pivot to view your updates.
Other options in your Profile you can update.
- Change Account information: Here you can change your account username or password and select a different affiliation, if your account is affiliated with more than one institution that subscribes to Pivot.
How to Search
There are several ways to search the Funding area of Pivot: Search by Text, Sponsor or Keyword, and Advanced Search.
Quick search by Text, Sponsor or Keyword
- On the Pivot homepage, click the Funding tab
- Select Search by text, Search by sponsor or Search by keyword, then enter your search terms into the text box.
- Click Search Pivot.
- You may also Browse by keyword using the interactive keyword wheel.
- On the Pivot homepage, select Advanced Search.
- Start by selecting the Match All or Match Any radio button at the top of the screen. This selection will add “And” or “Or” to the search rows beneath the option.
- Click on the drop-down menu to select which field to search (All Fields, Abstract, Title, Sponsor, or Sponsor ID). These are the fields that appear in the Funding Opportunities that result from your search.
- Enter your search terms into the boxes. If additional rows are needed, click Add another row.
- Additional fields are available – click on any field name to expand any of these field options.
- Limited Submission
- Activity Location
- Citizenship or Residency
- Funding Type
- Applicant Type
- Sponsor Type
- Click Search Pivot.
Your Pivot homepage (top left of the Pivot screen) keeps track of opps you have tracked, saved, and shared. You must be logged in to see and use your homepage.
Saving a search
Pivot allows you to save your search queries, and can automatically provide a weekly funding alert that identifies any newly added or updated opps that match your query. To save a search, select Save Search at the top of your Funding Results page. Pivot will direct you to name the search—once saved it will appear on your home page.
To Track, Set to Active, or Share an Opp: select the opp by checking the box to the left of the opp title, then select from the option tabs that appear. Opps that you track, make active and share will appear on your home page.
For 1:1 training
Links to Pivot training videos
- Setting Up Your Account and Claiming Your Profile in Pivot
- Discovering Pivot Profiles
- Updating Your Pivot Profile
- Pivot Quick Search - Basic Searching for Funding Opportunities in Pivot
- Advanced Searching for Funding Opportunities in Pivot
- Navigating Pivot Funding Results
- Tracking, Saving, Sharing, and Managing Pivot Funding Opportunities