Animal Care and Use FAQs
If you login to the VERAS system (http://veras.uidaho.edu/) and go to My Studies you should see a list all your protocol.
- Login to veras.uidaho.edu
- Select View My Studies under Featured Study Operations, or scroll down to All Studies, and on the protocol row you want to amend, select
- A pop-up window will appear, under Renewal, Amendment & Reporting Forms, select (Start a new Submission) for IACUC Mod Personnel Change Only
- Follow the appropriate instructions below:
- If you are adding a co-PI, select the button next to row A.) Additional Investigators.
- If you are adding research personnel, select the , highlighted green below, in the next row B.) Research Staff.
- If you are removing internal personnel, select the
, highlighted orange below.
- When prompted, search for the name you wish to add to your protocol.
- If you are only adding one person click the green checkmark next to their name and you will automatically be redirected to he next step in the process.
- If you are adding multiple people check the box next to their names and click the button in the upper right-hand corner when you are done and you will be redirected to the next step in the process.
- A drop-down menu of positions will appear under each new member of personnel, select the appropriate position/title for each person.
- Under the Entry 1 tab, select the person you are adding from the drop-down menu. Fill out both boxes for Description of personnel role and tasks and Relevant experience and qualifications and attach any relevant training documents.
If adding more than one person, select the button and fill out the same boxes for each person.
- Submit by clicking
There are two ways to fix this:
- The student/personnel will need to try to log into VERAS where they will be prompted to create an account. Once the account is created then you will be able to see them in the system.
- You can send their full name, vandal number, and email address to email@example.com and an account can be create for them with that information.
- If the personnel are not affiliated with the University they should be added to the External Personnel section and should not need to create an account.
Yes, personnel other than the PI can fill out forms for protocols they are connected to. However, the PI will need to complete a final Signoff and Submit before it is submitted to the IACUC.
When you are using the search function, make sure you spell out your department, not using abbreviations.
Follow the steps below
- You will login and under My Studies select the protocol you are working with 20XX-XX.
- Under Submissions the third section down on the left side select
- To start a new form, click then the right side.
- Fill out the form
- Select then sign off.
You will login and under My Studies select the protocol you are working with 20XX-XX.
- Under Submissions the third section down on the left side is
- Select the Annual renewal form
- To start a new form, click the on the right side.
- In the new annual renewal form just select
- At the bottom of the form please fill out how many of the approved animal numbers requested were used.
- Select then sign off
Follow the steps below
- Login to http://veras.uidaho.edu/,
- Go to the in the right top corner.
- Under IACUC Submissions is a list of collaboration agreements you can download. You would select the “Collaboration Agreement – Institutional”.
- Once the agreement is filed out to the best of your ability, email it to IACUC@uidaho.edu and we will work on getting it signed.
- When the agreement is completed, download the final form as an “Other Study Documents” under your protocol in the system.
If the IACUC Admin has already started processing the submission you will need to call or email the IACUC and ask them to release the submission so you can make changes. If the IACUC has not started processing the submission follow the steps below:
- Login to http://veras.uidaho.edu/
- Click on “My Studies” under Study Assistant
- Select the Protocol you want to edit “20XX-XX”
- Select “Retract Submission” under Outstanding Submission, Process Submission
- Login to veras.uidaho.edu.
- Scroll down to All Studies, and on the protocol row you want to amend, select Forms
- A pop-up window will appear, under Renewal, Amendment & Reporting Forms, select Start a new Submission for IACUC - Modification Form
- Complete the form to the best of your ability
- Under the Revised Application section of the IACUC - Modification Form, you will select Click here to attach the application, then select Add Revision to create a new version of your currently approved protocol. You will update your new protocol version to include the item you are requesting in your amendment.
- Under Submission section of the IACUC - Modification Form, attach or revise any additional documents (permits, collaboration agreements, migrated Protocol PDFs...)
Your instructor and teaching assistants have been trained in the procedures you will be conducting during your course laboratories. All procedures have been reviewed and approved by the University of Idaho Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). As a student enrolled in a course that uses animals, you should be aware of the animal welfare regulations governing the use of animals in your class. However, as a student, you are not required to take the Animal Care and Use training unless required by your instructor. You are welcome to voluntarily complete the course at no cost to you, following the instructions here.
The IACUC Coordinator or the Campus Veterinarian are available to answer questions regarding animal care and use at the University of Idaho, procedures related to securing and maintaining approval for the use of animals, animal care issues, and any other questions you may have regarding the animal care and use program. Contact the IACUC Coordinator (208-885-7258 or firstname.lastname@example.org) or the Campus Veterinarian (208-885-8958 or email@example.com) with any questions.
Notification of contract services for animal use is needed when using contract animal services with outside organizations, such as for antibody production.
All contract services in which live animals are used to produce the desired service endpoint and are funded by federal agencies must be through companies with a valid PHS Animal Welfare Assurance. You must notify the IACUC of your intent to use these services. Be sure to include both the funding agency for your project and the contractor you intend to use. Notify the IACUC.
You are required to maintain appropriate medical and procedural records for three years after the last time an animal was used on a protocol, or after the life of an animal, whichever is later.
Minimum training is available via an online training system. Full instructions are available on our Training page. Hands-on training sessions are provided according to the needs of individual protocols.
For nonemergency requests to have a veterinarian examine your research animals, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For emergencies, contact the Campus Veterinarian at 208-885-8958.
By law, the attending veterinarian must approve the use, frequency, dosage and route of administration for all drugs used on research animals. Please directly contact the Campus Veterinarian at email@example.com or 208-885-8958 for more information on processes to follow.