Geography Intern Program
Guidelines for Internships
- Students interested in internships with agencies or industries should notify the department head and prepare a resume for use in the application procedure.
- All faculty participate in department efforts to establish internships with agencies and industries that offer constructive learning experiences for our students
- Internships should offer learning experience related to some aspect of our program.
- Internship provided should provide job description including responsibilities of student, duration of project, wages to be paid and qualifications required.
- Credit value will be determined by the department on the basis of project duration and pay rate in an effort to keep uniformity among internships.
- Department requirements:
- Verification of student hire and person who will supervise the student
- Report from student midway through the project describing his/her responsibilities, accomplishments, learning experiences, and evaluation of placement
- Report from the student at the end of the term describing the total experience of the internship including what was accomplished, what he/she learned and how it related to student’s program
- A letter from the supervisor evaluating the student’s performance on the job
- Internship courses are Geography 497 and 598 and will be listed under the department head. In cases where another faculty member or where another professor’s expertise is needed to advise and evaluate the student has set up an internship, the department head will defer to the professor or will establish a separate section under the professor’s name. Grade for internships will be based on the student’s report and the supervisor’s evaluation.
- Students who have not had internships will be given priority in the selection process.