- B.A. St. Olaf College
- M.Sc. University of Utah
- Ph.D. University of Utah
- Postdoctoral Fellow at the National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis
I am broadly interested in mathematical biology, developing and applying mathematical techniques to answer important biological questions. Much of my research uses mathematical methods to analyze how animals process nutrients and toxins with applications in medicine and ecology. I have applied mathematical methods to issues as diverse as acetaminophen (paracetamol, Tylenol) overdose, incorporation of stable isotopes into animal tissues, and microbial detoxification of ingested toxins in mammals. The mathematics are diverse, including dynamical systems, bifurcation theory, probability, inverse methods, statistics, numerical analysis, and simulations.
- Sussman NL, Remien CH, Kanwal F. The End of Hepatitis C. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 12: 533-536. 2014.
- Remien CH, Adler FR, Chesson LA, Valenzuela LO, Ehleringer JR, Cerling TE. Deconvolution of Isotope Signals from Bundles of Multiple Hairs. Oecologia. 175: 781-789. 2014.
- Remien CH, Sussman NL, Adler FR. Mathematical Modelling of Chronic Acetaminophen Metabolism and Liver Injury. Mathematical Medicine and Biology. 2013; doi: 10.1093/imammb/dqt010
- O'Grady SP, Valenzuela LO, Remien CH, Enright LE, Jorgensen M, Kaplan J, Wagner J, Cerling TE, Ehleringer JR. Hydrogen and Oxygen Isotope Ratios in Body Water and Hair: Modeling Isotope Dynamics in Non-Human Primates. American Journal of Primatology. 74: 651-660. 2012.
- Remien CH, Adler FR, Waddoups L, Box TD, Sussman NL. Reply to Drs. Craig and Simpson and Drs. Mullins and Schwartz Hepatology. 56: 2428-2429. 2012.
- Remien CH, Adler FR, Waddoups L, Box TD, Sussman NL. Mathematical Modeling of Liver Injury After Acetaminophen Overdose: Early Discrimination Between Survival and Death. Hepatology. 56: 727-734. 2012.
- Cerling TE, Wynn JG, Andanje SA, Bird MI, Korir DK, Levin NE, Mace WD, Macharia AN, Quade J, Remien CH. Woody Cover and Hominin Environments in the past 6 Million Years. Nature. 476: 51-56. 2011.
- O'Grady SP, Wende AR, Remien CH, Valenzuela LO, Enright LE, Chesson LA, Abel ED, Cerling TE, Ehleringer JR, Aberrant Water Homeostasis Detected by Stable Isotope Analysis. PLoS One. 5(7). 2010.
- Cerling TE, Wittemyer G, Ehleringer JR, Remien CH, Douglas-Hamilton I. History of Animals Using Isotope Records (HAIR): A 6-year Dietary History of one Family of African Elephants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA). 106: 8093-8100. 2009.