- Ph.D., Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Physics, 1988.
- "Laurea", University of Pavia (Italy), Physics, 1980.
- Theoretical nuclear physics, nuclear structure, nuclear reactions, nuclear many-body theories, nuclear astrophysics
- Major on-going project: "Nuclear Theory at the University of Idaho", with R. Machleidt, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy.
Improving our understanding of nuclear matter, particularly in the presence of different neutron and proton concentrations, is one of the goals stated by the Nuclear Science Advisory Committee. This project generates predictions which can support present and future experimental effort with neutron-rich systems. Furthermore, we work on refining our knowledge of nuclear forces in terms of fundamental theory of strong interactions, quantum chromodynamics (QCD).
The predictions I make with my students and my collaborators have relevance for a broad range of problems, ranging from a better understanding of the nuclear chart to the physics of neutron stars and supernovae simulations.
- Funded by the U.S. Department of Energy, 2000---present
- Virginia Wolf Outstanding Service Award, 2010
- Alumni Inspirational Mentor Award, 2001
- Faculty Recognition Award for Teaching Excellence, Naval R.O.T.C., 2000