China on the Palouse
Held on the University of Idaho main campus each semester, China on the Palouse provides University of Idaho students and community members an opportunity to learn more about China in a comfortable, informal setting. Each seminar focuses on a different topic related to Chinese culture and audience members may engage with our guest presenters during time provided at the end of the hour-long presentations. These gatherings are a wonderful chance for you to meet new friends, engage with native Chinese speakers and learn more about China. All are welcome to join! These events are free and open to the public.
September 5, 2019
Professor Robert V. Percival, the Director of the Environmental Law Program at the University of Maryland Carey School of Law, will speak on the topic of “China’s Environmental Courts: An Assessment.” Professor Percival is an expert on global environmental law, and brings an insider’s prospective to this particular topic, as he has served as an instructor for new environmental judges in China. Professor Percival’s visit is co-sponsored by the University of Idaho’s College of Law.
Menard Law Building, Room 104
October 10, 2019
Dr Dong Luo, Assistant Professor of Philosophy at South China University of Technology, will present his recent research, “The Unity of Man with Heaven and Earth in Chinese Philosophy: Representation and Modeling.” Dr. Luo will be a visiting professor in the University of Idaho’s Department of Politics and Philosophy this fall, where he will teach courses on traditional Chinese philosophy and the philosophy of science.
Teaching Learning Center 122
November 7, 2019
Dr. Qinna Shen,Associate Professor of German at Bryn Mawr College, will present her research on the surprising transnational connections between East Germany and China at the end of the Soviet era in her talk, “Prelude to German Reunification: Beijing and Berlin.” Dr. Shen’s talk is co-sponsored by the University of Idaho’s Department of Modern Languages and Cultures.
New Location: Education Building, Room 442.
For more information on the China on the Palouse series, please contact the Confucius Institute at 208-885-7110.
Join our mailing list and keep up to date! Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dr. Thomas Talhelm, University of Chicago, "The Rice Theory of Culture" (Co-sponsor: Center for Health in the Human Ecosystem)
- Dr. Mark Warner, University of Idaho, "Exploring Chinese Communities on Either Side of the Palouse through Archaeology"
- Dr. Anna Pegler-Gordon, Michigan State University, "Chinese Migration and the Hidden History of Ellis Island" (Co-sponsor: Department of History)
- Dr. Jeff Kyong-McClain, University of Idaho, "A Man from Walla Walla and the Birth of Modern Archaeology in China"
- Dr. Wang Ping, Macalester College, "We Are Water: Kinship of the Yangtze and Mississippi" (Co-sponsor: Department of English)
- Dr. Anna Sun, Kenyon College, "Global Confucianism in the 21st Century"
- Dr. You Qiang, University of Idaho, "Relationships between the Ancient Chinese Philosophy of the I-Ching and Modern Science and Technology"