Brian Fowler, Ph.D.
Brian Fowler, Ph.D.
Clinical Assistant Professor, Recreation, Sport, and Tourism Management
875 Perimeter Dr.
Moscow, ID 83844-2401
- Ph.D., University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, CO, Sport and Exercise Science: Sport Administration — Doctoral Minor: Applied Statistics & Research Methods, 2021
- M.A., Gonzaga University, Spokane, WA, Sport & Athletic Administration, 2017
- B.S., Chico State University, Chico, CA, Business Administration — Management emphasis, 2010
- A.A., Treasure Valley Community College, Ontario, OR, Oregon Transfer Degree, 2008
- 2019 Graduate Research Excellence Award Winner – University of Northern Colorado
Brian Fowler, Ph.D., graduated from the University of Northern Colorado with a doctorate in Sport and Exercise Sciences with an emphasis on Sport Administration. During his studies he also completed a doctoral minor in Applied Statistics and Research Methods.
Professor Fowler has a wide variety of industry experience including working in professional and collegiate athletics, the financial industry, and medical education administration. In his free time, he enjoys sport and physical activity including baseball, basketball, paddle boarding, fishing, CrossFit, fantasy sports, and spending time with his wife and son.
- Fowler, B., Sung, Y. T., & Martyn, J. (under review). Expanding the academic gap: An examination of the athletic reclassification from FCS to FBS. Journal for the Study of Sports and Athletes in Education.
- Traugutt, A., Morse, A. L., Rascher, D. A., & Fowler, B. (2020). Coaching salary disparity and team performance: Evidence from the Football Bowl Subdivision. Journal of Applied Business and Economics, 22(2), 11-24.
- Fowler, B., Smith, J., Nordstrom, H., & Ferguson, T. (2019). Ice hockey officiating retention: A qualitative understanding of junior ice hockey officials’ motivations in Canada. Managing Sport and Leisure, 24(1-3), 18-31.
- Fowler, B., & Smith, J. (2019). An investigation of student-athlete gambling habits at religious universities. Journal of Contemporary Athletics, 13(3), 145-162.
- Martyn, J., Fowler, B., Kropp, D. C., Oja, B. D., & Bass, J. R. (2019). Managing an identity: Social identity complexity and NCAA faculty athletic representatives. Journal of Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics, 12(1), 365-383.
- Fowler, B., Smith, J., & Croskrey, J. E. (2017). Career and educational experiences of high school athletic directors: A multi-level perspective. The Sport Journal, 20, 1-15.
- Ray, J., Smith, J., & Fowler, B. (2016). The effect of regulatory fit on Twitter fandom in the National Hockey League Postseason. International Journal of Sport Communication, 9(4), 401-414.